What are our Legal Requirements?
• Completion, signed and witnessed NOIM by me (or approved authority) is the giving of notice to the Celebrant of one calendar month prior to the date of the ceremony.
• Once lodged with me, the NOIM is a valid document for a period of 18 months. This can be sent from overseas by fax or email. The original should be given to the celebrant by Registered Post from overseas.
• You must both be 18 years of age or older.
• You must provide proof of Age, by production of Birth Certificates, or a Passport if born overseas. Australian Passports are not accepted.
• If there has been a previous marriage(s) you must show evidence of your recent divorce papers (Decree Absolute) which is the final letter from the Divorce Court or, if applicable, Death Certificate of a former spouse.
• At your wedding, you must have two witnesses to sign the documents both 18 years or older.
• All documents must be written in English, or a translated copy certified and signed by an accredited translator. www.naati.com.au
• During the Wedding Ceremony, if a party is unable to speak English and unable to understand the translation, an Interpreter must be in attendance and complete a Statutory Declaration.
• The Celebrant must sight all original documents.
• A non-
• As stated in the Marriage Act 1961, a Declaration of Marriage needs to be signed prior to the wedding, which declares that each party believes that there is no legal impediment to their marriage.